Posted March 17, 2020
Dear Fellow 1970 Grads,
The rapid evolution of the COVID-19 pandemic has changed the ground beneath our feet. As little as two weeks ago we were still hoping that we could go ahead with the reunion in June. But with every passing day, those hopes have dwindled and we now find ourselves facing a new reality.
In addition to the increasing barriers to travel and the growing importance of social distancing, the Arbutus Club has closed its doors until further notice, to help contain the spread of the virus. Under these circumstances, we have no realistic option but to postpone the reunion. We've been hesitant to make this decision, but we know that those of you coming from out of town will need to alter your travel plans (if events haven't already altered them for you).
We are looking at alternative dates, either in late September or next May-June. We'll be sending you another update soon with that information.
For those who have already paid for reunion tickets, we hope that you will find the new date satisfactory and will simply transfer your registration. If at all possible, we would like to avoid having to refund paid tickets and then having to collect again for a new date. Of course, if the new date does not work for you, we will refund your ticket. If you have questions or concerns, please use the Contact Us link at the top left of this page.
Needless to say, we're disappointed to have to make this change. Who would have dreamed of this 50 years ago? We're all going to need to be flexible and resilient in the days ahead. And may we all stay healthy.
Our 50-Year Reunion will be Postponed
from Friday, June 12, 2020
to a new date to be announced soon
It will be held at
The Arbutus Club
2001 Nanton Ave
We will again be booking the lovely Terrace Room which we used last time and there will be a full buffet dinner.
- 6 pm to 7:30 pm: Drinks (cash bar) and mingle
- 7:30 pm: Buffet dinner
- 1:00 am: Close (for those who can still stay up that late 😊)
Ticket Prices: $95 per person
Spouses and partners are welcome
Donations to help with extra flourishes for the evening are also welcome
Payment is by cheque or Interac.
Please make out to Barb Anderson and Ken Dick (it's a joint account)
5245 Central Ave, Delta, BC V4K 2H1
You can pay by Interac directly from your online bank account. Many banks do not charge for this service. In the Interac section set up the payee as
Ken Dick with the email address: email@example.com.
Auto-deposit is enabled, so no password is necessary. The money will be deposited directly into his account and your email address will identify your payment.
Our task now is to reach as many grads as possible regarding the date, so that everyone can plan. Please help us by doing the following:
- Create a profile for yourself on this site (or update your profile from last time). To do this, click on the "Classmates" link at the top left of this page. Instructions for creating or editing your profile are at the top of the Classmates page. Find your profile by putting your name in the search box, then follow the instructions. All you need to do is fill in a form. You have the option to upload a current picture, which would be great to see. The contact information you provide will not be displayed on the site, but will only be available to the organizing committee. Particularly important is your email address. That makes it easy for us to contact you (and everyone else) through a single broadcast email.
- RSVP: Fill in a brief RSVP form letting us know whether you're planning to attend. It only takes a second. You can select Yes, No, or Not Sure. When you respond with a Yes your name is automatically added to the Who's Coming list. Old chums will be curious to know whether you'll be there. This is how to let them know.
- Spread the news to other grads with whom you remain in contact. You can do this easily by clicking the "Tell a Friend" link at the bottom of this page (might as well do it right now while you're here 😊). Ask your fellow grads to check out this site and create or update their profile.
- If you do have contact information for anyone please let our committee know so we can reach out to them too. In case they don't get around to registering on the site, we can at least include them in the database and they will receive communications about the event. The hardest part of organizing an event like this is finding the people. You can help us by spreading the word and passing along email addresses and phone numbers to the committee. We thank you!
You can contact us with questions or to send us information by clicking on the Contact Us button at the top left of this page.
High school may have been a great or less-than-great experience, but it was a part of life's journey we all shared. After half a century, let's get together again, have a laugh or two at the past, celebrate the present and raise a glass to the future.